[Xastir] Questions: S-57 Map Format; Garmin Chartplotter Mapping GPS Interface; Cygwin Installation

Conolly, Jason Jason.Conolly at weyerhaeuser.com
Tue Nov 16 08:25:40 EST 2004

Hello!

I am exploring the possible use of Xastir for APRS, and had a few
questions.  Since I am a mere mortal, running Windows XP and a dial-up
internet connection, I had a few questions before I go to far.

I saw a reference at http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/xastir.html that
indicates S-57 map files are useable in Xastir.  Is this correct?  For
my application with a maritime mobile installation, this would be ideal.
Are these maps useable in a native format?  Do they require any special
modules or options for Xastir or Cygwin?

I have seen a reference in the client capabilities chart at
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html that Xastir can
plot positions on a Garmin map screen.  Does anyone know if this is
compatible with the Garmin Chartplotters (2010C)?

Finally, is there any "canned" installation for Cygwin?  Is there ANY
way to install this except a network installation?  I only have access
to a dial-up connection.  It is possible I could download an
installation package on another connection and burn it to CD, but I have
not been able to find any possible source for this.

Thanks!

73,
Jason / N7IME