[Xastir] Re: Cygwin Xastir help needed

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Nov 16 18:15:18 EST 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 01:30:12PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:

> If you did a reindex new, make sure that you "touch" any new maps
> first to make sure their datestamp is newer than the datestamp on
> the map index file ("touch filename1 filename2" or "touch *").
> Sometimes when you download files you get an old timestamp.  Another
> way to solve this is to do a reindex all, which doesn't care about
> timestamps.

Betcha that's the most likely culprit.  Bites me on the tukas every time.
You probably did a reindex before shapelib was properly configured, but
after you put the shapefiles in place, and xastir just looks at the timestamp
of the index file compared to the files in the directory.

There have to be better ways to determine if there's new stuff to index, but
nobody's worked on it.

> > >    No dbfawk installed, map type not hard-coded into Xastir.
> > >    Dbfawk installed but no matching dbfawk file for your map.
> >
> > I have the second condition. Will the absence of the dbfawk file cause the
> > map not to show in the map chooser?
>
> Nope.  It can cause it to not show up (true Tom?) or show up
> improperly when drawn though.

No, having no dbfawk file won't prevent a map from being displayed, just
make it look like junk.  Same thing as trying to view a map that doesn't have
hardcoded style info when dbfawk isn't enabled.

> > Since these problems have started, now a new one has surfaced last night. I
> > have the snapshots enabled but getting this error:
> >
> > convert: No encode delegate for this image format
> > (/home/Randy/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.png).
> > System call return error: convert: /home/Randy/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.xpm ->
> > /home/Randy/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.png
> >
> > The problem seems to be related as it is dealing with an image file.
>
> That's ImageMagick complaining.  See the README.win32 about this
> one, or the FAQ perhaps.  Setting a variable will tell ImageMagick
> where to find the delegate.

Depending on what version of imagemagick you have installed, it might be
also be the case that libpng isn't linked into it.  I think that was the
case with the one I installed (not the one from cygwin, the one I pulled off
of whatever site is listed in README.win32 back when cygwin's imagemagick
wouldn't work).

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "Politics consists of choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable."
                                      -- John Kenneth Galbraith