[Xastir] squid caching of toposerver/terrraserver for offline use?

Dan Brown brown at brauhausdc.org
Mon Nov 22 19:28:56 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Chris Abbott wrote:

> That sounds like a good idea. For a while I was using the Tiger Maps
> on-line, but I eventually broke down and downloaded some of them. It
> would be nice to have it in a cache, so that way if I had internet
> failure or the Tiger Servers failed, there would be a back-up. The only
> question is how to cache it. Yes, you could use squid, but you would

My solution, which is in the current CVS of Xastir, is implemented simply
by giving each downloaded map gif an individual name, saving all the files
to a directory under the users ~/.xastir/ dir and keeping a persistent
database of the mappings from the requested URL to the saved filename.

What needs to, and is being added to this cacheing implementation is some
management of the data stored in the cache.

> probably want to have an option on the on-line maps to go to a proxy
> server, unless you want your entire machine to go to it.(Which might be
> useful if you need squidGuard). On the other, like Dan said, it could be
> built into Xastir, which would save the trouble of setting up squid and
> keep it down to Xastir processes, or maybe make it to where you can use
> either. That way if you have a single machine, you can use Xastir's
> cache. If you have a caching proxy server used by others, then you could
> use that, so others could benefit. All and all I say worth trying. Just
> my two cents.

Certainly, a Squid or other proxy isn't mutually exclusive to a built-
in Xastir map cache.

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhausdc.org