[Xastir] Server Port vs. Internet Server?

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Sat Nov 27 14:58:38 EST 2004

Hello all,

I have been experimenting with Xastir for SAR and am very impressed.
What I would like to do is use Xastir with my TNC and connect Dmapper to
the Xastir Server Port to allow other team members to see position
reports in Maptech while the main computer is running Xastir. I'm
testing this setup on a single PC running WinXP and Cygwin but plan to
use SuSE for the Xastir box once I get the configuration working right.

Dmapper has a telnet function that can connect to an APRS Internet
server, and this works just fine. However, when I connect Dmapper to the
Xastir Server Port I see incoming data but Dmapper doesn't decode the
positions.

Is there a difference between the output of the Xastir Server Port and
the output of an APRS Internet server?

Dmapper doesn't authenticate to the server, but I didn't think this
would make any difference because UI-View32 works just fine connecting
to the Xastir Server Port without authentication.

Here is the relevant Xastir output I see in the Cygwin terminal after
connecting and then disconnecting in Dmapper:

 > X_spider client connected from address 127.0.0.1
 > X_spider session terminated, unauthenticated user, address 127.0.0.1

I'm using Xastir CVS compiled on 11/8/2004.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Kevin
KB9MQU