[Xastir] Server Port vs. Internet Server?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Nov 27 15:40:44 EST 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Kevin Ratcliff wrote:

> Dmapper has a telnet function that can connect to an APRS Internet
> server, and this works just fine. However, when I connect Dmapper to the
> Xastir Server Port I see incoming data but Dmapper doesn't decode the
> positions.
>
> Is there a difference between the output of the Xastir Server Port and
> the output of an APRS Internet server?

Try telnetting to the Xastir server port and an internet server port
to see if there's a difference.  You could pipe the info to a file
and compare the files later to see if line-ends are different or
something else perhaps.

There may be a difference, but I don't currently know of any.  The
function in Xastir was designed to be functionally identical at that
level to the internet servers, except of course that we allow you do
do multiple connects to Xastir from the same callsign, and most
internet servers don't allow that now.

> Dmapper doesn't authenticate to the server, but I didn't think this
> would make any difference because UI-View32 works just fine connecting
> to the Xastir Server Port without authentication.
>
> Here is the relevant Xastir output I see in the Cygwin terminal after
> connecting and then disconnecting in Dmapper:
>
>  > X_spider client connected from address 127.0.0.1
>  > X_spider session terminated, unauthenticated user, address 127.0.0.1

If I recall correctly, Xastir will dump you if you don't talk to it
every once in a while.  If you have reconnect turned on in your
client, then it should reconnect and start receiving packets again.
Of course you'd miss a few packets during this time.  If the client
doesn't have a reconnect function, then you'd connect once, get
disconnected after a few minutes, and that'd be about it.

I'll run a test today with two Xastir's connected together.  I'll
disable transmit from the client side and see if it keeps getting
disconnected/reconnected.  If so, I'll enable transmit and see if it
keeps the connection.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer