[Xastir] Memory question

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Oct 1 10:58:13 EDT 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Tom Russo wrote:

> > Gees.. hate to give up kde as I really like it.....  perhaps prettier and more
> > built in functions  is not always better...
>
> That's my opinion, but I'm one of those people who think that the primary
> purpose of using X is so you can have lots of shell windows open, and maybe
> throw some graphics up once in a while.

I'm with you.  Any time I have to take my hand off the keyboard to
touch the mouse, I just got slowed down.

> Sorry I can't be of more help.  I don't know where else to look.  Perhaps
> someone else on the list has seen the kind of bloat you are seeing.

I have in the past at times.  That's why I keep such a close eye on
things now, and have been working on memory bloat for the past year
or so.  I don't see any such problems in any of the recent snapshots
or the last stable release.

I also run FVWM2, mostly because it is very fast plus it's easy on
memory.  Relatively bug-free as well.

I would suggest doing some experiments with other map formats to see
if you might be having trouble with Shapelib itself.  If so, then
try upgrading/downgrading Shapelib to see if that fixes it.  Try to
come up with the simplest test case that shows the problem, so you
can repeat it as you change one variable at a time.

Perhaps Shapelib has introduced a memory leak recently, and I
haven't seen it due to running an older version?

Try updating Xastir and running the same minimal test case.

Try configuring/compiling without dbfawk support as that is another
possible failure point with that type of map.

Who knows, maybe you'll even track it down to particular fonts or a
font server causing the problem...