[Xastir] Help! I'm stuck in usradar.geo and can't get out!

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon Oct 4 07:00:58 EDT 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Curt Mills wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Rick Green wrote:
>
> > FIrst, a comment on terraserver:  Terraserver apparently doesn't have any
> > images for my location.
>
> Depending on the area and the zoom level, you may get missing
> squares on terraserver/toposerver.  Just has to do with which images
> they have available.
  That's what I would expect, but what I get is either a full window of
terraserver image, or no data for that layer.  Go to 42/27N -83/46W at
zoom level 25. You'll see WHitmore Lake.  Pan left a few times.  Just
before you get to Hell, the entire terraserver image disappears, including
the portions on the right-hand side of the screen that it displayed in the
last iteration.

> > save all those wasted CPU cycles, and deselected USRADAR.GEO, but it won't
> > go away!  I even went so far as to stop xastir and restart it, but it
> > promply went into a wait state while it loaded usradar.geo again.  WHen it
> > finally began responding to the cursor, I brought up the map chooser, and
> > sure enough, USRADAR.GEO was deselected.
>
> When you say "deselected" it, does that mean you clicked on to
> un-highlight it and then hit the "OK" button, or you clicked on it
> and then hit the "Cancel" button to make the dialog go away?  Unless
> you click "OK", you're not changing your selections.
  Yes, I used 'OK', not 'Cancel'

> > I just tried something else:  I re-selected usradar, then brought up the
> > properties dialog, and erased all values associated with usradar.  Close
> > the properties dialog, deselect usradar in the chooser, and press OK.  The
> > first message that appeared in the status window is 'Loading Usradar.geo'
> > ARGHHH!
>
> You can always kill Xastir then go into your
> ~/.xastir/config/selected_maps.sys file and delete the offending
> lines, or just delete the file altogether and reselect your maps
> from scratch when you next start up Xastir.

I browsed that file, finding only two lines: Michigan.pdb and
tigermap.geo.  I stopped and restarted xastir, and it immediately went
into a wait as it displayed 'Loading USRadar.geo' in its status window!

I stopped xastir, ran `ps aux | grep xastir` just to make sure there
wasn't an errant process hanging around, deleted selected_maps.sys, and
restarted xastir.  It again immediately loaded USRadar.geo, then loaded
Michigan.pdb on top of it!  In another window, I browsed
selected_maps.sys and found it present, but empty.  Bringing up the map
chooser, it shows no maps selected.  When I hit 'OK', it again hung as it
reloaded USRadar.geo!

I'm convinced its haunted. It's probably about time I updated this
machine anyway, so I'm going to blow away this installation (1.3.2 from
last May) and start over fresh!

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin