[Xastir] serial ports- off topic

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 4 12:20:17 EDT 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Mike Fenske wrote:

> Try a program called "remserial". It works as a client/server pair to do
> exactly what you want. Can't remember where I got it, but google should
> find it for you. If not, I can email you the source, it's only 6k.
> I have been able to use a spare serial port on my windows box using
> remserial on my linux computer and a program called serproxy on the windows
> machine. Another one I have tried for windows is comfoolery. I hadn't heard
> of tcp-com, I'll have to look it up.

I added this to the FAQ file, plus some others that I gleaned from
earlier discussions on this topic.  Here's the new text, please send
me additional info that people may have on this topic, as this is
brought up several times a year:

+    4.20 How to I redirect serial ports from one computer to another?
+
+    For Linux, try a program called "remserial". It works as a
+    client/server pair to do exactly what you want.  Google should
+    find it for you.  One user was able to use a spare serial port
+    on his windows box using "remserial" on the linux computer and
+    program called "serproxy" on the windows machine. Another one I
+    have to try for windows is comfoolery.
+
+    Another option is to use a Perl script on each end to do the
+    conversion.
+
+    Yet another is to use "netcat".  "man nc" should tell you about
+    it.  It redirects tcpip data seamlessly under Linux.  Try
+    something like this:
+
+        cat /dev/ttyS0 > nc -p 3000
+
+    If you want to put your GPS on a remote serial port, use the
+    gpsd daemon to do it.
+
+    if you wish to put your weather station on a remote serial port,
+    investigate using OWW (for Dallas weather stations), wx200d
+    daemon for some Radio Shack/Huger/Oregon Scientific weather
+    stations, or Meteo daemon for Davis weather stations.
+
+    You may also connect to a remote AGWPE instance for using remote
+    TNC's/soundcards.  Note that AGWPE runs only on WIndows.