[Xastir] Help! I'm stuck in usradar.geo and can't get out!

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon Oct 4 15:34:06 EDT 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Rick Green wrote:
>
> > I stopped xastir, ran `ps aux | grep xastir` just to make sure there
> > wasn't an errant process hanging around, deleted selected_maps.sys, and
> > restarted xastir.  It again immediately loaded USRadar.geo, then loaded
> > Michigan.pdb on top of it!
>
> That makes no sense to me.  It gets its info from the
> selected_maps.sys file, it otherwise has no info on maps other than
> the indexing information in map_index.sys.  It has only the internal
> memory list of selected maps (loaded from selected_maps.sys on
> startup) and the selected_maps.sys file itself.
  Makes no sense to me either!

> You're sure it wasn't indexing instead of loading?  Perhaps you have
> indexing on startup enabled?
  'Index on startup' is not checked.  The message I see is definitely
loaded, I get a grey background.  With USRadar.geo under it, I get a white
background.  At the moment, there's a few random pixels blue towards the
east, and if I zoom out, it appears there's some storm activity somewhere
around Cleveland, and the blips I'm seeing in the Detroit area are just
the edge scatter off that storm.  I did edit USRadar.geo, changing the
reload time from 720 to 7200, so it doesn't lock up my machine quite so
often.
  That brings up another head-scratcher.  /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/
contains two subdirectories, GPS/ and Online/.  The map chooser shows me
only GPS/, and ignored Online/, so I had to copy the contents of that
subdirectory into the maps/ directory itself before they'd show up in the
chooser.  Ownership and permissions of the two subdirectories are
identical, so go figure.
 At the moment, there are NO maps selected in the chooser, and
selected_maps.sys is empty, yet I have USRadar.geo displayed, with
Michigan.pdb overlayed on top of it.  map_index.sys lists all the maps in
my directory, not just the ones that are being loaded.  Should I have
deleted that file as well?

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin