[Xastir] ESRI shapefile troubles

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Oct 5 17:43:31 EDT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Tapio Sokura wrote:

> I'm trying to use Xastir from CVS (2004-09-18) with ESRI shapefiles that
> describe a part of the Finnish road network. When I added the shapefiles
> to xastir's map directory, I only got some dots and a few polygons to
> the screen, nothing that resembles a road network. No error messages are
> printed to stdout/stderr, except the "No DBFAWK signature found" that I
> get from world.shp as well. Shapelib is version 1.2.10.
>
> I don't know much about shapefiles so I'm asking here if someone could
> take a quick look on those shapefiles and tell me if there is something
> fundamentally wrong with them or are they just some way incompatible
> with Xastir. I've placed the files temporarily at
> http://www.oh2kku.ham.fi/misc/, they should describe a road network at
> about 60 deg 30 minutes north, 25 deg 5 minutes east (the city of
> Järvenpää).

These have some parameters different from what our Shapefile code
expects.  I don't know what parameters for sure, but I know
something is different.

This is only a partial solution, but if you install the GDAL/OGR
library and get support for it compiled into Xastir, you can tweak
xastir/src/maps.c line 309 to uncomment this:

    //#define GDAL_SHAPEFILES

and recompile.  Xastir will then use the OGR library to read in your
Shapefiles instead of the direct Shapelib code.  You'll see your
road network then.  The reason it's only a partial solution is that
we haven't fully integrated GDAL/OGR with Xastir yet, so you'll get
just black lines and no labels at this point.