[Xastir] Help! I'm stuck in usradar.geo and can't get out!

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Tue Oct 5 19:18:38 EDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Rick Green wrote:
>
> > Well, it seems to be an ongoing problem.  I just downloaded and compiled
> > the 1.4.0 stable tarball, and I'm able to reproduce the problem:
> >
> > WIth the display centered on central michigan at zoom level 800, I select
> > the following maps:
> >
> > Michigan.pdb (from pocketaprs) at layer 4
> > USRadar.geo at layer 3 if Zoomlevel > 200
> > terraserver at layer 2 if Zoomlevel < 200
> >
> > there isn't much radar activity at the moment, but if I zoom out, I can
> > see a few blue blips here and there.
> >
> > I bring up the map chooser, and deselect USRadar.geo, then click OK.
> >  - The machine hangs for a minute while 'Loading USRadar.geo' is displayed
> > in the status bar.
> >
> > I close xastir and restart it.  Xastir again loads USRadar.geo and
> > Michigan.pdb
>
> Your description makes me think that only the zoom level is checked,
> and not whether the map itself is "active".  Sound like it fits?  If
> you change to zoom 160 at this point and then close/restart Xastir,
> it doesn't load USRadar.geo, right?

  I did that.  When I restarted xastir, if first told me 'loading
tigermap', then 'Loading USRadar.geo', then 'Loading Michigan.pdb', and it
finally came up with Michigan.pdb on a white background.  No storm
activity, so I can't be sure the white background is from USRadar, but
it's not showing the tigermap road detail, either.  I opened up the map
chooser, and there were no maps selected.
  What does it do for other people?
  I've got another machine, running SuSE 9.1 with xastir 1.3.3 installed.
On that machine, I just have AX25 and Imagemagick libraries, so it doesn't
want to load USRadar or the tigermaps.  However, I can turn on and off the
Michigan.pdb at will, and the map appears and disappears appropriately as
I click 'apply' in the chooser.  However, that machine has other problems,
like wanting to reboot itself frequently without warning....there it goes
again!
  On this machine (SuSE 8.1 with xastir 1.4.0 stable, and previously
1.3.2), I now can't turn any maps off except by deleting selected_maps.sys
AND map_index.sys, then restarting the program.

  WHat's the definition of the 'automaps' switch?  I find that I can't get
any maps to display unless I enable automaps for that map.  So why does it
exist if it always has to be on?

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin