[Xastir] Help! I'm stuck in usradar.geo and can't get out!

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 6 00:15:12 EDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Curt Mills wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Rick Green wrote:
>
> >   WHat's the definition of the 'automaps' switch?  I find that I can't get
> > any maps to display unless I enable automaps for that map.  So why does it
> > exist if it always has to be on?

To answer your other questions there, I think perhaps you're having
other difficulties, not related to automaps.  In any case, turn off
automaps and leave it off for now.  I'm of course referring to the
Map->Enable Auto Maps togglebutton, not the "Automaps" column in Map
Chooser->Properties.

With automaps off:  Xastir will use it's index to determine whether
to load any particular map you have selected.  If the extents of the
map don't fit on the current screen in any way, that map is skipped.

For Shapefile maps, we have yet another cool thing:  Each
point/vector/polygon in the Shapefile has it's own extents, and
Xastir checks those to see if it should draw that object.  That way
it doesn't waste time trying to draw objects that aren't in the
current view.  Good for when you're zoomed in quite a ways on the
map.

All that clear as mud now?  You shouldn't have a map get loaded even
if it is selected, if you're looking at the wrong part of the world.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer