[Xastir] What is wrong with this packet?

Michael J. Wolthuis wolthui3 at msu.edu
Wed Oct 6 09:25:06 EDT 2004

> W8LRC>APRS,KC8LJC-10,WIDE2*,qAo,N9UOF-1:!4259.42NN08522.35W_#PHG7430
Eastern Kent County Digi R,W,WX,MI
                                                  ^^
There's your problem.  Findu should be rejecting it as well.  It's a
malformed packet.

To test, create a log file with that exact packet, then another with
a '/' instead of that second 'N' character.  You can suck each of
those into Xastir separately.  The one with the '/' will probably
display properly, unless there's something else wrong with the
packet I didn't catch the first time around.

Oh yea, the '#' in front of the PHG7430 is also incorrect.  It needs
to be gone as well.  PHG is supposed to be attached to the end of
the position part of the packet, in this case the '_' is the symbol,
and the "PHG" should be right after that.

Curt,
Still a little confused and not sure this is the answer.  The string
automatically knows it is a / (in the primary symbol table) right?  The
second N is to give the Weather station Icon an N overlay because it is a
widen-N digi also.

Maybe removing the # symbol in front of PHG is the issue.  I will try that,
I guess I thought # was the leader for PHG, but now I see that may be
incorrect from the spec.  Making the change.

Thanks,
Mike
Kb8zgl