[Xastir] What is wrong with this packet?

Jason Hitesman jradio at hitesman.com
Wed Oct 6 19:00:23 EDT 2004

Curt Mills wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Michael J. Wolthuis wrote:
>>Here is the string:
>>
>>W8LRC>APRS,KC8LJC-10,WIDE2*,qAo,N9UOF-1:!4259.42NN08522.35W_#PHG7430 Eastern Kent County Digi R,W,WX,MI
>
>                                                   ^^
> There's your problem.  Findu should be rejecting it as well.  It's a
> malformed packet.
>
> To test, create a log file with that exact packet, then another with
> a '/' instead of that second 'N' character.  You can suck each of
> those into Xastir separately.  The one with the '/' will probably
> display properly, unless there's something else wrong with the
> packet I didn't catch the first time around.
>
> Oh yea, the '#' in front of the PHG7430 is also incorrect.  It needs
> to be gone as well.  PHG is supposed to be attached to the end of
> the position part of the packet, in this case the '_' is the symbol,
> and the "PHG" should be right after that.

Are you sure that's the problem?  It looks like my local digi is sending
the same kind of packets and it shows up on my Xastir screen and Findu
with no problems:

KB7ZVA-11>APN383,WIDE2-2,qAS,KB7ZVA-1:!3303.28NN11449.66W#PHG6870/Black
Mtn. Imperial Valley KB7ZVA

Or am I missing something that's different?  It's the 'NN' that is
supposedly wrong correct?

----
Jason Hitesman
N8INJ