[Xastir] What is wrong with this packet?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 6 20:18:05 EDT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Jason Hitesman wrote:

> Curt Mills wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Michael J. Wolthuis wrote:
> >>Here is the string:
> >>
> >>W8LRC>APRS,KC8LJC-10,WIDE2*,qAo,N9UOF-1:!4259.42NN08522.35W_#PHG7430 Eastern Kent County Digi R,W,WX,MI
> >
> >                                                   ^^
> > There's your problem.  Findu should be rejecting it as well.  It's a
> > malformed packet.
> >
> > To test, create a log file with that exact packet, then another with
> > a '/' instead of that second 'N' character.  You can suck each of
> > those into Xastir separately.  The one with the '/' will probably
> > display properly, unless there's something else wrong with the
> > packet I didn't catch the first time around.
> >
> > Oh yea, the '#' in front of the PHG7430 is also incorrect.  It needs
> > to be gone as well.  PHG is supposed to be attached to the end of
> > the position part of the packet, in this case the '_' is the symbol,
> > and the "PHG" should be right after that.
>
> Are you sure that's the problem?  It looks like my local digi is sending
> the same kind of packets and it shows up on my Xastir screen and Findu
> with no problems:
>
> KB7ZVA-11>APN383,WIDE2-2,qAS,KB7ZVA-1:!3303.28NN11449.66W#PHG6870/Black
> Mtn. Imperial Valley KB7ZVA

In that packet you have a '#' as the symbol character, so that's ok
before the PHG.  In the one from W8LRC, the symbol character is a
'_' character, so the '#' is an extra one that cannot be there
before the PHG according to the spec.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer