[Xastir] Also problems with Tigermaps

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Oct 10 19:19:59 EDT 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, KD1YV wrote:

> No, the further I get into this, the worse things get.  Now I
> can't get any maps to display.  Terraserver worked before, but has
> stopped now.  There was a Terraserver map in the ~.xastir/tmp
> directory, but it was from a few days ago.  I rm it so that I
> figured I would load a fresh copy, but no go.

Ok.  That means your fetches aren't working.  Test with terraserver
or toposerver in order to check whether it is the tigermap server's
problem or something on your end.  It's likely that the terraserver
machine is up and operating.  The tigermap server is more
questionable.

> Based on previous list comments, I have suspected ImageMagick, so
> I have reinstalled several times (and rebuilt xastir each time).
> I tried the current ImageMagick  6.1.0 from source, the RPM of the
> 6.1.0, and a back-level verion 5.5.7, but nothing is bringing any
> joy.

Do you also have an imagemagick developement package that you're
upgrading/downgrading at the same time?  You need both, and they
must both match.

> If it gives any clues, every time I try to Reindex All Maps,
> xastir crashes with a SegFault: index_update_directory:  Found
> control char 0xffffffbf in map file/map directory name.

Sounds like it's trying to tell you something about your files.

> Is there anyplace where the map requests are logged, so that I
> could examine what is happening?

You can run Xastir like this:  "xastir -v2047" in order to see what
it is doing at the time of the crash.

You can also do this:

    (xastir -v2047 2>&1) | tee run.log

That will create a file "run.log" as well as put the messages to the
screen.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer