[Xastir] DF object questions

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 13 13:12:09 EDT 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Jason Winningham wrote:

> I've got some questions about DF objects.
>
> If I'm creating an object and select "DF Object" and "Omni Antenna" I
> can select a heading, but this just shifts the center of an omni
> circle.

See Bob Bruninga's web page about it.  That's how it is supposed to
work.

> I can also select signal strength and antenna gain.
>
> Why isn't there any sort of signal strength or range indication if a
> create a DF object with a beam antenna?

Good question.  I've done a small amount of DF'ing in the past, but
was never a real enthusiast.  I did the DF'ing code.  I think
APRSdos has some method of displaying those involving thickness of
lines or perhaps dashes, plus changing the length of the lines.  We
don't do those things.

Add these items to the feature request list.

> Is there a way to denote "negative" gain, i.e., I'm receiving a signal
> with strength S with X dB of attenuation?

I don't believe so.  I don't remember reading about any such thing
in any of the APRS docs or Bob's docs.

> And on a related (but off topic) note, does anyone know the beam width
> for the Arrow dual band handheld yagi?

Nope.