[Xastir] Maps, again!

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Sat Oct 23 05:28:11 EDT 2004

On 22 Oct 2004, at 21:15, Gerry Creager n5jxs wrote:

> Aha.  the pages referenced below simply did the leg-work for you.

Yup, I'
> Curt,  We need to talk about postgis again.  Some of this pain can be
> dealt with directly therein.
>
> John,  Find the metadata associated with the images you have gotten.
> See what the center point and the corners are supposed to be at...
> you've pretty well gotten there.  Identify the datum associated with
> the geodetic position, and the coordinate system.  Determine if the
> image is appropriately rectified.  Also, in the registration process
> the degree of affine used (number of points) should be given.
> Finally, did the supplier project the image to match a particular
> maptype?  This is uncommon but not unheard of.  If so, you may have to
> reproject it, which is a pain.  It'll likely mean, more to the point,
> doing a rubber-sheet re-registration/rectification of the image which
> will introduce some distortion.

Jeez, I need to wakeup first I'll read the above again.

Basically I got a friend of mine to scan in a part of the O.S. Map for
my area (he has a very good scanner), we then cropped it at the
appropriate points. So assuming that the scanner didn't introduce any
more errors, then the grid on the map is visible every 1000m so they
are the points I could use to try and match things up.

Re the map data itself. From OS themselves
http://www.osi.ie/gps/overview/irishgrid.asp

Also I had a though re the 'stitching' of the maps while on my return
journey last night.  Its really not necessary for me to do it (but I'd
still like to try).  As the event I'm trying to get organised for is an
event where we give support to the Hillwalking association. We are
planning on putting 2 trackers per walk, one per transport vehicle and
one one the Mountain Rescue Vehicle.  Basically the entire mountain
range will be on one scanned section, so all the 'action' will be in a
relatively small area of the map. So I don't really need to do any
stitching.

Curt I'll look at the pocketAPRS maps as well.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll go get breakfast and come back and read them again when I'm fully
awake.

Regards
John

--