[Xastir] Maps, again!

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Oct 23 13:16:00 EDT 2004

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, John Ronan wrote:

> Also I had a though re the 'stitching' of the maps while on my return
> journey last night.  Its really not necessary for me to do it (but I'd
> still like to try).  As the event I'm trying to get organised for is an
> event where we give support to the Hillwalking association. We are
> planning on putting 2 trackers per walk, one per transport vehicle and
> one one the Mountain Rescue Vehicle.  Basically the entire mountain
> range will be on one scanned section, so all the 'action' will be in a
> relatively small area of the map. So I don't really need to do any
> stitching.

Actually, Xastir can do the stitching for you nicely.  Just crop all
of your maps at an exact place, the grid lines should do nicely.
Tell Xastir to load all of the maps you're interested in, and
assuming that you've georeferenced each tile properly, Xastir will
lay them side by side.  You can go as small or as large as you like
with the rectangles.  Smaller rectangles might be easier to
georeference and have less distortion across them, but then of
course you have more work to do to georeference all of them.

Just so you know you're not alone... We all need a bit of extra
caffeine when Gerry discusses maps.  hi hi

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer