[Xastir] Fwd: Maps won't display?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 25 12:24:05 EDT 2004

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Jeremy Utley wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:11:50 -0700 (PDT), Curt Mills <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
> >
> > If so, then the spec file for the ImageMagick RPM on SuSE should be
> > tweaked to include that dependency.  Of course a few other things
> > need to be added to the spec file as well, and not just on SuSE
> > RPM's.
>
> Wouldn't surprise me at all - I've never really liked RPM at all -
> build from source, that's always been my motto.  I've never used Suse
> at all, myself, and any package-managed distro rapidly drives me
> insane from fighting dependency stuff.

I've had relatively good luck with RPM's, but install from sources
as well at times.  The trick is to snag RPM's only from your
distribution's FTP site if at all possible, and installing RPM's
that match the specific release as well.  Start mixing and matching
and you run into trouble quickly.  I switched to SuSE a number of
years back because they seemed to get more things correct than
RedHat.

Anyone running into problems with RPM's that don't specify
dependencies, such as ImageMagick RPM's that don't list liblcms and
other such things, lean on your Linux distribution to fix it!
You'll be helping countless users down the line by doing that, and
not just Xastir users.