[Xastir] Digipeating final solution!

Brian D Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Wed Sep 1 09:45:08 EDT 2004

Hasan,

	Another important thing to keep in mind is that the Xastir version
released with the Debian CDs you will receive is likely a bit old.  The
various README files you can download with the current source
distribution will walk you through the steps of compiling and installing
a new Xastir installation.

	Its a relatively simple process, but it will take you some time.  If
you follow the instructions verbatim you'll have a working
installation.  The first time I did it I took some shortcuts and then
spent 2-3 days trying to undo the mess I created for myself.

	There are different concepts at play between Windows systems and Unix
systems.  The prevailing practice under Windows is a large monolithic
application that does everything anyone anywhere might need someday.
Unix tends to use a modular approach.  You use a lightweight application
as a traffic cop and then several modular applications that are focused
on the need at hand.  As another list member pointed out, there are
several good digi packages that run under Linux.  For Igating you've got
APRSd, JavAPRS, and probably a couple others.  By using smaller and more
tightly focused applications you make troubleshooting easier and allow
change-out of a single module if another application better suits your
needs.

				THX/BDH