[Xastir] Digipeating

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 1 12:39:37 EDT 2004

This is what I SHOULD have said.  I put "AGWPE" in there instead of
"digi_ned" in the original message:

If you want the most reliable system (no or few reboots required per
year), run this way:

TNC's in KISS mode connected to the Linux box, or perhaps soundcard
modems in the Linux box.

Set up AX.25 kernel networking on that Linux box.

Run digi_ned and Xastir on that box.  Gives you smart digipeating
plus APRS map display and igating.

Run UI-View32 on the Winders box and connect it to Xastir's server
port (port 2023).  Enable the server port on the Xastir instance
running on Linux.

If you feel like it, install Cygwin/Xwindows on your Windows box and
run Xastir there too, alongside UI-View if you wish.  Connect it to
the server port on the other Xastir instance.

Another method would be to run digi_ned and aprsd on the Linux box,
then connect all the APRS clients to the aprsd instance.  The later
versions of aprsd allow using the AX.25 networking ports to talk to
the TNC's, so aprsd and digi_ned should be able to co-exist.