[Xastir] Digipeating

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Wed Sep 1 16:07:56 EDT 2004

At 13:07 1-9-2004 -0400, Brian D Heaton wrote:
>purpose and it does a pretty good job.  Its up on sourceforge too.

Speaking of sourceforge, I would love to move DIGI_NED there as well. I
just do not find the time to dig into it... (and get through the learing
curve how to maintain it).

On topic, it is absolutely no problem to run everything on one box. I had
Xastir and DIGI_NED running side by side simultaneously over two radio
interfaces via the AX.25 kernel. Besides that it also ran FBB, POP and SMTP
server and Apache web server over the radio port on 431.000. That's the QRG
of our LAP, the entry to the AX.25 radio network we still have.

You don't need a powerfull computer, this was on a 486 laptop running
RedHat 5.2 and only 20 MB of ram. Still it was very responsive on Xwindows
(using ICE-WM to keep it "lightweight", you don't want KDE or Gnome on such
a machine :-) ).

People often do not realize the power of Unix/Linux in this respect. Like
Lego the componets sometimes look primitive, but you can build wonderfull
things with these components. But its not an "Installshield" type
setup-and-go installation.

Kind regards,

Henk.