[Xastir] Connection failure popup?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 9 14:03:52 EDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Tapio Sokura wrote:

> This talk about popups reminded me of the annoying habit of Xastir to
> popup several windows (I have auto-reconnect enabled) when it loses
> connection to an APRS-IS server. Is there a way to disable these
> connection failure popups and just keep on trying the connection in the
> background (maybe just display the failure status in the status bar on
> the bottom)? Maybe a switch to the interface properties window, where
> you could select whether you want to know when the connection fails?

Get some discussion going on it.  If nobody likes them to begin
with, we can just get rid of them and assume that people will look
at the status bar.  If you want to know whether you lost connection
but regained it recently, perhaps we can do that another way, like
perhaps a message to STDERR.

> I was also thinking about a "projector" mode for Xastir, especially made
> so that no popups whatsoever (interface failures, messages, bulletins,
> etc) are automatically raised. Or maybe they could raised, but layered
> under the main map window so it is not obstructed. This could come handy
> in situations where you want to display some kind of general status
> window for a larger audience via an unattended video projector/computer
> combination. This could be at a SAR operations center or at a results
> bureau of a sports competition, for example. What do you think?

It seems useful.  Add it to the feature request list.

> PS. Another thing that came into my mind is the significance of num lock
> key status. Why does it have to be off to be able to use the right mouse
> button menu (maybe this is FAQ, but I'm asking anyway :-))?

Because Scroll/Num/Caps Lock introduce keyboard modifiers into the
mix, causing our mouse operations not to work, due to the parameters
changing that we're doing compares against.

If someone were to spend some time on it we could make the mouse
operations work with these modifiers on as well.