[Xastir] Shapfile manipulation tool ?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Sep 10 11:57:35 EDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, William McKeehan wrote:

> Can you guys recommend a good toolset to use to manipulate Shapefiles?
>
> I have some Shapefiles (mostly downloaded) and I would like to customize them
> - i.e., split/merge type operations.

The only tools I have used to date are the tools that come with
Shapelib.  Some of them are compiled during your library compile,
others are in the "contrib" directory.  Try that first.

Are any of the ESRI tools downloadable for free?  They invented the
format so if any of their low-end stuff is free, that's what I'd try
second.