[Xastir] Message ACK question

Jason Hitesman jradio at hitesman.com
Fri Sep 10 12:40:38 EDT 2004

Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Jason Hitesman wrote:
>
>>I setup AGW on my notebook with a spare radio listening in while I did
>>some message tests...and there were a lot of things that AGW picked up
>>which my KAM never registered.
>
> If you're running Linux or Solaris you can use the Soundmodem driver
> to turn your soundcard into a TNC.  Works well I hear.

I tried getting that setup but can't get the ax.25 utils to compile
under debian Sarge for some reason.  Haven't had time to dig into it.  I
installed older versions from pacakges but was unable to get the
soundmodem working - I don't think it likes the soundcard in that system
as festival and other sound system based applications work fine.

However I did more research last night and it appears that it may be my
radio.  I swapped the KAM to use my newer radio for recieving and it's
hearing and decoding a lot more now.  So my old Kenwood TW-4000A may
need a tune-up or be ready for retirement :(  Since it dosn't have tones
I can't use it for the local repeaters...and it's internal battery is
toast so if I turn it off it has to be reset when I turn it back on...so
full time APRS was about the only thing it was usefull for to me :D

Scary part is next weekend I'll be very close to an HRO with a good
chunk of spending money in my pocket....I'm scared of what I may do!

----
Jason Hitesman
N8INJ