[Xastir] Igate operation

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Sep 10 12:44:49 EDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Tim Gimmel wrote:

> I have set up a station that now has Internet access and RF access.  I
> have everything set up so that RF can go to IN and IN to RF, but I'm not
> so sure anything is happening.  I have been watching the tnc.log,
> net.log and igate.log (sorta like watching paint dry) to get a clue on
> how it works, and the best I can see is if I send a message it goes out
> both interfaces and the first ack wins.

You need to enable Igating on each RF interface and on the
Configure->Defaults dialog.  At that point you'll be gating all of
your RF-heard packets to the internet, plus messages from the
internet will go to RF if the recipient of the message has been
heard by your station within the last hour.

You can also gate NWS weather alerts to RF if you set that up.  See
the docs.

> Does anyone have a primer on
> how igates should work, whats the best thing to allow and not allow,
> path information etc.  I am still struggling with how the path's are
> constructed, about the time I have them figured out I see something new
> out in the wild.

Your best bet might be to prowl around the APRS sites on the 'net.
Several good links were put forth yesterday on the APRSSIG mailing
list (www.tapr.org).