[Xastir] Re: Xastir Digest, Vol 3, Issue 19

William Baguhn spqr at kc9asi.cjb.net
Sat Sep 11 01:05:34 EDT 2004

> Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:37:24 -0700
> From: Jason Hitesman <jradio at hitesman.com>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Message ACK question
> To: xastir at xastir.org
>
> Ok, think I found my problem...for some reason my TNC isn't decoding the
> ACK's from other people so it's not an Xastir issue at all but hardware.
>
> Guess I should finally break down and get a new TNC and retire this
> ancient KAM that never worked well :(
>
> I setup AGW on my notebook with a spare radio listening in while I did
> some message tests...and there were a lot of things that AGW picked up
> which my KAM never registered.

I had the same problem with a TNC2 clone for a while.  It would hear
some stations, but half (or more) of the time I heard data squawks
on the frequency, I wouldn't get a decoded packet.  Usually it wasn't
a big problem, as most of the nearby digipeaters did get decoded.

Doing a proper recalibration on the modem fixed it.

I find that TNCs that are used in a mobile environment (and in my case,
banged around under the seat) really need to have the modem calibration
done regularly.  (I keep a copy of the calibration part of the manual
in the glove compartment, along with enough tools to run the calibration.)

Now, I watch how many stations I have detected after a day of on time.
If it's too far below typical (around 200-250 in our neck of the woods),
It's time for a recalibration.

--
KC9ASI - William Baguhn
http://www.qsl.net/kc9asi