[Xastir] This what happen when I started xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 13 16:07:57 EDT 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Johnny wrote:

> This is my first to ./configure/make/make install a package this way
> It ./configure with no errors  i installed some more package that was
> needed to get to configure
>
> This what I get when I start xastir what else do I need to do to get it
> to run
> sorry for the bandwith

The other answer was correct, most of this is just initial startup,
letting you know that it is setting up defaults for your user
startup file.  Once you successfully run and then exit Xastir, you
won't see the "Found out-of-range" stuff anymore except when you
update Xastir and new features have been added, in which case you'll
see a few of them the first time you run again.

> XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found?
> /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm

This is a problem, but it isn't as simple as the answer previously
given.  I just checked in my /usr/share/xastir/symbols directory,
and guess what?  I don't have one!

What you're dealing with now is a remnant of the Xastir-1.0.0 that
you ran before, which put invalid paths into your config file.

The easiest way to solve this is to (as the normal user you're
running Xastir as:

    rm -rf ~/.xastir

You should also remove the original Xastir-1.0.0 package that you
installed.  If you've installed any maps to the old maps directory,
you need to move them to /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/

Once you do all this, you can start up the new Xastir and it will
recreate the ~/.xastir directory and it's contents, start up Xastir,
and find the file that you couldn't find before.

An alternative method to the above is to try running the migration
scripts that are in the xastir/scripts directory:
"xastir-fixcfg.sh" and "xastir-migrate.sh".  You run the first one
as the regular user, and the second one as root.  Those try to fix
up your scripts and move things for you.  If they fail, try the
first method, as it is guaranteed to work every time.

Hope that helps,