[Xastir] Soundcard Modem For Idiots?

Jason Hitesman jradio at hitesman.com
Tue Sep 14 22:03:57 EDT 2004

Thanks so much for forwarding this back to the list - it's finally got
me on the right path for getting the soundmodem working!

I was also having the same problem with the "error with axports file"
message after following the instructions...but I found something on this
page that seems to have solved it:
http://www.febo.com/packet/linux-ax25/ax25-config.html

---CUT HERE---
There is one thing to watch out for with the new ax25 packages. If you
install the ax25 stuff from Debian or RedHat packages, they will be
installed in /usr/sbin with the config files in /etc/ax25. But... if you
obtain the sources and build them yourself, the programs will be
installed in /usr/local/sbin with the config files in
/usr/local/etc/ax25. That can cause problems if the home-built programs
need to read, for example, the axports file and are looking for it in
/usr/local/etc/ax25 when it really lives in /etc/ax25.

The workaround is simple, though it's not The Right Thing according to
the filesystem standards: make /usr/local/etc/ax25 a symbolic link to
/etc/ax25. That way, no matter which directory a program looks in for
its configuration files, it will find the same ones. To do that, issue
this command:
ln -s /etc/ax25 /usr/local/etc/ax25
---CUT HERE---

That's what was causing the problem for me on my Debian setup.
Apparently xastir was looking to /usr/local/etc/ax25/axports and finding
the default ports 1 and 2 in the sample.  I renamed /usr/local/etc/ax25
to ax25.old and made a link as suggested...it now works!

Now I just have to figure out how to tell if I'm getting audio to this
thing for not and how to set the levels and all that fun sound related
stuff :D

----
Jason Hitesman
N8INJ