[Xastir] Xastir -CPU

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Sep 18 14:47:22 EDT 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Henk de Groot wrote:

> So somewhere in the loop a TCP/IP connection setup is performed.

As I recall you get connections from the applicaton to the X-server
via TCP/IP.  Don't know why you're seeing two, or whether they keep
opening/closing.  I'd think they'd open once and stay open, but
perhaps not.

> I also
> made a list with netstat to show which connections exists for Xastir, and I
> can only see two towards XWin. So it looks like it is XWin traffic, but the
> only XWin call I see is XtAppAddTimeOut. Anyway, it is generated somewhere
> in the UpdateTime loop.

At the end.  UpdateTime() schedules itself to be run again via that
call.

> The question I have is, what TCP/IP traffic is it and why is there so much
> traffic even when  the system sits idle.

Probably the status line stuff.  Updating the text on the bottom
left and the icons on the bottom right.  On Unix that's not much of
a load, but on Windows it might be.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer