[Xastir] Xastir -CPU

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Sat Sep 18 13:37:00 EDT 2004

At 23:08 16-9-2004 -0600, Tom Russo wrote:
>At nexttime=2, upon startup xastir floats at single digit CPU percentage,
>while System eats nearer to 70%, and the total system load as shown by the
>performance monitor is nearer 90%.

If you look at which processes, for me that's:

vsmon - this is part of the ZoneAlarm firewall
lsass - Window's Local Security Authority Service
System - Windows Kernel

Where vsmon and lsass are network related. When I shutdown Zonealarm the
CPU load also drops since no more processing power is wasted on checking
packets. When I, while Xastir is running, change the Zonealarm firewall
setting to disallow any new TCP/IP connection my Xastir then the load vanishes.

So somewhere in the loop a TCP/IP connection setup is performed. I also
made a list with netstat to show which connections exists for Xastir, and I
can only see two towards XWin. So it looks like it is XWin traffic, but the
only XWin call I see is XtAppAddTimeOut. Anyway, it is generated somewhere
in the UpdateTime loop.

I have not tried with XP SP2 but I guess the Windows firewall will make the
situation worse.

The question I have is, what TCP/IP traffic is it and why is there so much
traffic even when  the system sits idle.

Kind regard,

Henk.