[Xastir] recent cvs: Works good...

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Sep 20 09:28:09 EDT 2004

Curt, while driving to Dallas yesterday, I did a CVS update and
recompile and ran the (1600Z) latest version the rest of the day.
Couple of points...

1.  Apparently you've solved the problems associated with the latest
round of ImageMagick API fubars.  Works good now.  I've, once again, got
radar, Tiger, etc.

2.  I saw no issue with excessive CPU utilization including when radar
or Tiger loads were ongoing.  That said,...

3.  When radar or Tiger are loading, the program appears to steal a lot
of normal cycles and doesn't appear to service interrupts much at all.
For instance, if I were to try to try to click on one of the menu
elements, it may take minutes to be recognized, where, in a map
update/redraw, it's almost instantaneous.  This becomes important when
one has an 80k link to the outside world, and radar's getting snagged
all the time.  Seems that, if we're now thread-aware, that could wander
off to another thread, or there might be a way to at least look at
clicks/interrupts a little more frequently.

3a.  Even while I couldn't get the program's attention during all of
this to make changes or get ahead of it, a toggle to a running 'top'
demonstrated no excessive CPU usage or high load averages.

Thanks!  Nice work to all the developers on another successful major
release!

73, gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173