[Xastir] Server Port Question

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 21 12:14:07 EDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Dick C. Reichenbach wrote:

> Try setting UI-View to the same Callsign AND SSID as the Xastir box.  So
> if Xasitr is KC8OBZ-3, UI-View must also be KC8OBZ-3.
>
> I had a similar problem with the x_spider a couple of months ago.

Things might have changed since then.  Also, a bunch of the server
software out there doesn't like multiple identical authentications
now, and will knock off all but one of them if it sees identical
connects.  If I connect up to INET servers three times as "WE7U",
the first two will get knocked off.

Xastir's server port acts this way:

1) If no authentication is received, "server" Xastir will send data
down to the client, but any data transmitted by the client only goes
to other connected clients, not to the "server" Xastir.  It
therefore never gets "igated" up to any INET servers that the
"server" Xastir is connected to.

In this case you have a local network of clients that can talk and
that receive data from the server, but they can't talk outside that
local network, just listen.  The "server" Xastir just facilitates
the sharing of data between connected clients in this case, and
can't even see them on the map itself.

2) If clients are authenticated (and igating is enabled globally and
for the INET interface in the "server" Xastir), then data goes both
ways (assuming that the "server" Xastir has authenticated to the
INET servers of course).  The client authentication strings get
eaten by the "server" Xastir, so you end up with only one
authentication packet getting sent to the INET servers, that of the
"server" Xastir itself.

You can think of this setup as Xastir being an extension of the INET
server network, plus the "server" Xastir can see the positions of
all connected clients and can message to/from them.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer