[Xastir] ax25 nodes

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 20 21:08:52 EDT 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, ke4lkq wrote:

> I just wish that there was a way to interface multiple clients to a central
> server doing the connectiong to the outside world via the serial interfaces.
>
> Maybe there is a way to do this and its over my head.

There are ways to do that.  I'd suggest joining the linux-hams list,
reading the HAM-HOWTO document, and getting a feel for how to do the
networking part.  You should be able to assign one machine as a
router, send all packets to it for assignment down the right
interface, then if/when the AX.25 machine gets it, it'll have a
route that will send the packet out the proper port.  I'd have to
think a bit about how the packets would get from RF back through the
machine and get routed to the originating machine.  Perhaps you'd
need to go with some sort of AX25 through ethernet tunneling or
something to make that work.

I'm sure there are others that have played with this more than I.  I
haven't done TCP/IP on RF for quite a while now.

> I am now using ax25spyd to server multiple telnet sessions on all the other
> machines, but XASTIR does not understand the data.  Xastir connects quite
> well to ax25spyd ports, just doesn't understand the "aprs: AX25: KE4LKQ
> ->APRS".etc,etc,etc..... in front of all the data strings.

Yea, it won't.  What you can do though is run aprsd on the machine
with the RF interfaces, then connect Xastir to its server port.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer