[Xastir] Can you wget this?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 22 16:09:36 EDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Mike Markowski wrote:

> For some reason, I can't get Tiger maps.

> I'm trying to figure out if this is a site problem here or not,

The Tigermap server is often very slow, and sometimes doesn't work
at all.  Crank up your timeout to the maximum and keep your map
window size small.  You'll have a better chance of getting a map.

You can also save a snapshot of it, then turn that into a map for
later use.  This might work for a few places that you view a lot.

Of course a better method is to compile with Shapelib and then
download the county maps in Shapefile format for your area.  Same
data as they use for the Tigermap server, just on your local hard
drive.  That's what I use when I'm driving, plus USGS topo maps.