[Xastir] Serial ata drives

Dick C. Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Wed Sep 29 21:10:40 EDT 2004

On a completly similar note:  I just upgraded my system to a newer
computer, so I think we are following similar path's.  I just got my new
'puter  assembled today, in fact.

I noticed my SATA drive didn't come up under an older 2.4.22 kernel I
had lying around.  Reading some articles on this I downloaded a new
2.4.27 kernel and it was recognised.  I understand from some of the
reports that I read, that the drivers aren't running at full speed, yet,
and some faults are showing up, although at first glance my computer is
running without any kernel panics, yet.  Supposedly the support in the
2.6.7 kernels are better, but the tradeoff is that the 2.6.7 kernels
aren't as stable.  My SATA1 showed up as /dev/sda.

According to the docs, my Giga-byte board will take both ATA's and
SATA's at the same time.  I havn't tried it yet.  My friend has an older
board, his won't take both at once.

As for booting linux.  That shouldn't be a problem.  Assuming that the
new computer can handle having both in there at the same time, then it's
just a matter of telling bios which drive has boot priority.

Dick R.