[Xastir] Memory question

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Sep 30 00:24:00 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 09:07:49PM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <ve7did at dccnet.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> Started up xastir with no maps and consumed a bit more memory. Killed it and
> memory went back where it started. Started xastir again and started loading
> shapefile maps and now memory usage started to escalate very quickly.  Got it
> up to the 262M quite easily.
>
> Now, I deselected the maps and memory useage did NOT drop.  I killed xastir
> and memory useage still stayed up.  It appears as though the shapefile maps
> are keeping the memory useage up, even if you have deselected all the maps.
>
> I'm not sure how all the swap got used, but I expect I was messing around
>
> I tried this same scenario twice and it is duplicatable.
>
> Any thoughts or am I missing something or don't understand memory useage?

Are you running the CVS version of xastir?  When was the last time you built
it?

I routinely run xastir with as many as a hundred shapefiles loaded at any
time, and rarely see it use more than about 16MB.  Right now I've got all
the tiger shapefiles for my state and a dozen or more other maps displayed,
and my resident memory usage is 9MB after 21 hours uptime.  There was a time
when there was a serious memory leak in dbfawk, but that was months ago.

There could be a new memory leak in some aspect.  How many shapefiles do
you load?  Do you use dbfawk or do you configure with --disable-dbfawk?
Have you tried running with a lighter-weight desktop than KDE?  Is the
behavior the same?

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
(1) Ignorance of your profession is best concealed by solemnity and silence,
which pass for profound knowledge upon the generality of mankind.
                -------"Advice to Officers of the British Army", 1783