[Xastir] Memory question

Tom Robson, ve7did ve7did at dccnet.com
Thu Sep 30 00:47:36 EDT 2004

New Jersey <ve7did at dccnet.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> > Started up xastir with no maps and consumed a bit more memory. Killed it
> > and memory went back where it started. Started xastir again and started
> > quickly.  Got it up to the 262M quite easily.
> >
> > Now, I deselected the maps and memory useage did NOT drop.  I killed
> > xastir and memory useage still stayed up.  It appears as though the
> > shapefile maps are keeping the memory useage up, even if you have
> > deselected all the maps.
> >
> > I'm not sure how all the swap got used, but I expect I was messing around
> >
> > I tried this same scenario twice and it is duplicatable.
> >
> > Any thoughts or am I missing something or don't understand memory useage?
>
> Are you running the CVS version of xastir?  When was the last time you
> built it?

Yes, I am using cvs... built on Sept 13th.

> I routinely run xastir with as many as a hundred shapefiles loaded at any
> time, and rarely see it use more than about 16MB.  Right now I've got all
> the tiger shapefiles for my state and a dozen or more other maps displayed,
> and my resident memory usage is 9MB after 21 hours uptime.  There was a
> time when there was a serious memory leak in dbfawk, but that was months
> ago.
>
> There could be a new memory leak in some aspect.  How many shapefiles do
> you load?  Do you use dbfawk or do you configure with --disable-dbfawk?
> Have you tried running with a lighter-weight desktop than KDE?  Is the
> behavior the same?

I don't routinely run shapefiles because the repositioning is a bit slow, but
use them quite often when I want some street detail etc.  I have run about 6
shapefiles but they are about 20Mb each (the *.shp files).  I do use dbfawk
for gathering street names.

I have not run some of the lightweight desktops...  I'll give it a try.

I should have mentioned when the maps consume the memory initially and if I
deselect them (memory useage does not drop), then select them again the
memory useage does not go any higher.  It is as if the maps have reserved the
memory space for each map.

Thx...