[Xastir] Change to RELAY digipeat function

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 8 10:38:01 EDT 2005

> While we're at it, why would the home stations act on WIDE1-1 in the
> second
> slot anyways?

The concept is to try and get rid of the multiple copies of packets that
bounce around when using the alias of RELAY. By using the alias of WIDE1-1,
you can get the same type of help from a "walnut" TNC in a home station (via
MYALIAS WIDE1-1), while the high level "walnut" TNCs on the mountain tops
can act upon it adding it to their antiduping list (via UITRACE WIDE,28).

This keeps the number of copies of a packet down to a minimum. WIDE1-1 as a
home alias is used, since it can be implemented across all TNCs, not just a
specific brand. It is also not implemented via UIFLOOD in home TNCs, since
that would turn the home TNC into a digipeater that would act upon all
values of n-n. We want the home fill-in stations to act only upon the
WIDE1-1 path.

Remember that a tnc looks for it's name anywhere in the path, so ANY
position containing WIDE1-1 would trigger the home fill-in stations.

It would be the same as currently running a path such as:

WIDE2-2, RELAY

We wouldn't do that, since every home fill-in station around the outer
WIDEn-n digipeaters would fire up.

The simple rule of thumb is use WIDE2-2 as your path. IF and only IF you
NEED to make use of the home fill-in stations to get out, use a path of
WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1.

WIDE2-2 activates only the mountain top digis.

WIDE1-1 activates home fill-in stations, as well as the mountain top digis.
WIDE2-1 will give you that second hop, but only through the mountain top
digis without triggering the home fill-in stations. In the mountain top
stations, since they are acting upon the path using the anti-duping routine,
they never repeat the same packet twice which is what can currently happen
when using the path of RELAY,WIDE1-1 or higher.

James
VE6SRV