[Xastir] Change to RELAY digipeat function

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 9 00:15:43 EDT 2005

> <opinion>
> Most of this is not going to relieve packet congestion on metro-digi
> networks.

Is this opinion based on an in-depth examination of the current
implementation concept, or simply conjecture?

> It's gonna look like it for a period of time until the folks who don't
> follow the APRS sig catch up/catch on, and then the congestion will
> return.  The transient interlude of inadequate user upgrades will provide
> the appearance of success.  The short memory cycles associated with most
> hams will preclude recollection of the previous congestion and the
> implication will be that things were better for a while, but the
> population's growing.

While it is true that there would be a short term drop in traffic due to
people running no longer supported paths, the latest implementation scenario
will reduce the congestion if implemented properly.

> At some point, physics will have to intrude on conjecture in the
> application of RF networking.

As always, there is a finite limit on the amount of traffic that can be
handled on a given channel.

> This is a band-aid approach to an arterial laceration.
> </opinion>

So what's the solution, wait until the patient bleeds out? No more blood in
the body, no more bleeding!

The powers that be back on the east coast are currently looking at ways to
make the best use of the current hardware that is available and in use. A
lot of what they are suggesting are things that the NWAPRS group figured out
and implemented quite a while ago. The suggestions being floated around now
are simply slightly different ways of implementing the same concepts. There
are a couple concepts that are new as well, since they are being proposed on
an international basis. These types of changes had they been implemented
only by the NWAPRS group would have fractionalized the APRS network.

As it is right now, the chances of fractionalizing the APRS network are
high, as many people do not take the time to examine the proposed changes,
and understand the rationale behind them. Rather than taking that time, they
usually simply say "It's not going to work/make a difference, I'm not going
to change."

There are really about 3 ways we can go:

1) Keep the status quo, and live with congestion and near zero throughput in
high traffic areas.
2) Implement the new changes, and try to optimize the current hardware (both
digis and trackers)
3) Give up and throw it all in the garbage.

Which way do you want to go?

James
VE6SRV