[Xastir] Change to RELAY digipeat function

hasan schiers schiers at netins.net
Sat Apr 9 07:36:00 EDT 2005

It's not that hard...Bob has documented it pretty well. The one thing that
is good is that there has been a robust discussion of what should be done
and how to implement it on varioius platforms.

I'm doing a massive upgrade of debian, xastir, and installing the new
digi-ned with the agwpe hooks today (with a LOT of help from Ryan, KB0JQO).
When complete, we will have implemented the new paradigm, including
maintaining RELAY support for a period of time, the WIDE1-1 alias for
fill-in digi's, as well as the full WIDEn-n and Abusive Path Trapping
schemes, for all the platforms in our coverage area.

Right now we have implemented this for:

UI-View32 smart digi's
UI-Digi (as much as one can until author updates firmware)
KPC3+ digis
Digi-ned (one in operation and one to go on line today)

WinAPRs is not being used in digi-service in our area, other than as
fill-in. There is nearly 0 WinAPRS use in Iowa. UI-View32 dominates, but
there are several Xastir sites as well. If things go well here today, I will
be converting from UI-View32 based smart digi'ing to Digi-ned based today
sometime.

So far, it has been very easy for two reasons:

1. We didn't start communicating with the user base until the dust had
largely settled.
2. Two people did all the implementation/design work for the change.

We noticed between a 20 and 40 percent drop in traffic! (This is based on
actual traffic counts taken by the minute/10-minute/ periods and then
averaged over a period varying from 1 to 240 hours.) This process has been
ongoing for over a month and the data is clear, so instead of speculating
about how it "can't possibly work"...do the real work, make the changes,
COMMUNICATE WITH THE USER BASE, and see for yourself. Of course to actually
see what is taking place, one has to actually spend the time to monitor the
channel, then collect and analyze the data. We (the hicks from the sticks)
did it....anyone similarly motivated can do it and not have to deal in
speculation and conjecture.

...and it is NOT the result of paths being wrong...we monitor the channel
many hours per day and have corrected 98% of the users paths.

There are two real keys to the change...

1. The network MUST be monitored on a continual basis.
2. The users must be instructed, educated and given feedback.

In other words, the local network must be MANAGED...gee, what a concept!

We have superb cooperation among digi owners and end users. Perhaps it's
because we don't jerk them around and we make any changes easy to understand
by implementing changes "by the numbers", including instructions and help.
Then again, perhaps it's because we are in Iowa, where people actually value
cooperation over competition, and the good of the network over any one
individual's ego.

Whatever the reason(s), the change is solidly in place on all the platforms
and we have a significant reduction in channel clutter as a result.

Until new hardware and a brand new scheme to make use of the hardware come
available, this is the best possible way to go. We did it and are pleased.

73,

...hasan, N0AN