[Xastir] Change to RELAY digipeat function

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Apr 10 07:28:20 EDT 2005

The issue will be to constrain the design to allow continued operation
for existing base/mobile hardware with a change only in the path used.
I still think that can be done.  The appliance operators see a benefit,
we get to build networks.

And, then again, it might be a lost cause.  If so, APRS could well go
the same path of Packet in general, when BBS's became irrelevant, and
essentially dropped off the face of the earth.

I think it's gonna be a hardware and software effort. I think it's going
to be incumbent on the designers to make it backward compatible, but
have hooks toward a more forward-thinking network interface.  And I
think at some point, if the hardware and software are built right, it
will have to cut over from AX.25 to something else (IPv6/TCP?) to allow
better, more adaptive network functionality.

gerry