[Xastir] Change to RELAY digipeat function

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 11 01:45:56 EDT 2005

>All those appliance operators with all those Kenwoods
>have no way to switch to a new protocol and I doubt
>most of them care to get their hands dirty. I fear the
>toughest part of the problem is political in nature, rather
>than technical. Personally, I haven't the patience for that.

When did Ham Radio become an all or nothing hobby?

Why do we need to have 100% backing from the existing APRS community before
anyone starts playing with different ideas or hardware?

Scott Miller N1VG has started working on the OpenTRAC protocol and project
without waiting for general public approval and support. It is possible that
Scott's OpenTRAC may take over and replace the APRS system.

If that happens, will there still be people standing on the sidelines
complaining that there is a better way, but still not doing anything?

Kudos to Scott for remembering that Ham Radio is about experimentation.

James
VE6SRV