[Xastir] Change to RELAY digipeat function

Bennett, Joe remailer at ka3nam.com
Mon Apr 11 11:21:09 EDT 2005

Well, I'll put out an idea on the all or nothing
comment. We live in an instant gratification world.
Amateur Radio is not excluded. While I agree with you
that experimentation is the life blood of amateur
radio, we also have to think of what I call the
political piece and the dwindling resources.
Splintering off and developing something new is GREAT!
It's the way of a human. Normal humans will find a way
around a road block.

Now where this gets tricky is the point that the
Public Safety folks have experienced. If we truly want
to have and keep our Public Service credentials with
the political big wigs, we have to be able to offer
something. Having splintered networks that cannot
interoperate are a thing of the past. I applaud new
technologies and new ideas, but we need to ensure that
we have interoperability so we can keep the political
crow bar in the door. Without that, we are just a
bunch of guys jacking around with radio to the govt.
folks...

Now, to do that, you make it cheap, accessible and
easy to use... Or you find a govt. grant to pay for
it... In essence you need the Wal-Mart model...

Again, just my $.02

-Joe