[Xastir] New England feed down?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Apr 12 12:27:27 EDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:54:43AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Steve Friis wrote:
>
> > I guess where I was going is should I be using a different server, would
> > doing so relieve traffic congestion for the main server(s) or are these
> > general broadcast packets? What one should I be using? What port?
[...]
> You could connect to any of the four primary APRS-IS servers.
> first.aprs.net through fourth.aprs.net.  I think they use ports
> 10151 (full w/history), 10152 (full w/o history), and probably 14580
> (filtered).
>
> There are a whole slew of secondary servers.  I don't have pointers
> to the lists for those.

I think the recommendation is that end users like us should try to use the
second-tier servers instead of the primary four.

Since Steve is in New Mexico, it might be most convenient to use the nearest
secondary server, which is the one I mentioned: arizona.aprs2.net, located
in Yuma, AZ.  Before I started using that one, I was using socal.aprs2.net.

Details on port availability, as with most javAPRSSvr-based servers, can be
found on port 14501 with a web browser.

HTH,
T.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster