[Xastir] aprs data in a database

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Apr 14 12:24:27 EDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Alessio Sangalli wrote:

> Hi, we would like to have the APRS messages stored in a database and/or
> printed...
>
> I'm going to watch the source and patch it as necessary :) do you think
> this idea could be useful for anyone else?

Yes.  Absolutely.

We've been planning to go in this direction for Xastir2, with a
daemon feeding a database, that daemon probably also responsible for
the talking to and controlling the interfaces.

If you do integrate a database with Xastir, make sure it is done
with as generic SQL as possible, that you use a spatially-aware
database (so that things can be searched for by lat/long bounding
rectangles), and that you can support at least MySQL and PostGreSQL
at a minimum.

Also read the notes for developers document on the Xastir
SourceForge pages.  That will make any patches that you come up with
much easier to integrate into the main CVS code by the developers.

As far as printing goes, I'm more interested in saving/printing
messages & bulletins than I am APRS packets.  APRS packets can
already be logged to file.  Messages/Bulletins getting logged would
help out in emergency comms situations.