[Xastir] aprs data in a database

Alessio Sangalli alesan at manoweb.com
Mon Apr 18 17:45:23 EDT 2005

Curt, WE7U wrote:

> I checked these links out.  I can see some good things coming about
> because of this change by the Qt guys, but I also see some problems.
> In their dual-licensing FAQ they say.  I added asterisks around the
> important parts:

I think it has discussed in forums and such (see KDE's forum, for example).

The answer should be: that text is a bit controversial, but, *as long as
Qt/win32 is GPL* (as the X11 version has been since a long time) you can
use it as a GPL library.

>   If you, for any reason, should be unable or unwilling to do this,
>   you need to buy a commercial license.

If you don't want to (or can't) use GPL for your program, you need to
buy the license, but this is not the case for Xastir I think :)

>   A: The main difference is licensing. Using the Open Source Edition
>   (under the GPL license) obligates you to share your source code
>   without restrictions with the users of your program. **Using the GPL
>   also means you may not demand compensation for** or limit subsequent
>   re-use and re-distribution of the source code.

It's tricky, but you missed the sense of that sentence:
you _may_ charge money for providing the software. you must _not_ charge
money if someone else (who got the software from you) gives a copy of
the software to a friend.
i.e. you cannot demand compensation for re-distribution.

You cannot prevent other people from doing the same as you - charging
for the software for a fee.
Licensing stuff is more complicated than programming :)

> as well).  Trolltech seems to think that anything GPL'ed is always
> free.  Not true.  I could sell Xastir for $10,000 a copy if I
> thought I could find a buyer for it, and I don't even own it!

Exact :) I agree! As long as Qt has a GPL license... you can do it.

Thank you
Alessio Sangalli IW2NYD

--
How to build an IR receiver
http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc

Nexstar cable
hittp://lnx.manoweb.com/astro/telescope/cable