[Xastir] aprs data in a database

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 19 00:08:45 EDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Alessio Sangalli wrote:

> Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> > I checked these links out.  I can see some good things coming about
> > because of this change by the Qt guys, but I also see some problems.
> > In their dual-licensing FAQ they say.  I added asterisks around the
> > important parts:
>
> I think it has discussed in forums and such (see KDE's forum, for example).
>
> The answer should be: that text is a bit controversial, but, *as long as
> Qt/win32 is GPL* (as the X11 version has been since a long time) you can use
> it as a GPL library.

Well, that's why the LGPL was invented.  I suspect that they don't
want to classify their widget set as LGPL for that reason, so they
have some recourse if they find someone making money with it and not
paying for their commercial licensing.

> >   A: The main difference is licensing. Using the Open Source Edition
> >   (under the GPL license) obligates you to share your source code
> >   without restrictions with the users of your program. **Using the GPL
> >   also means you may not demand compensation for** or limit subsequent
> >   re-use and re-distribution of the source code.
>
> It's tricky, but you missed the sense of that sentence:
> you _may_ charge money for providing the software. you must _not_ charge money
> if someone else (who got the software from you) gives a copy of the software
> to a friend.
> i.e. you cannot demand compensation for re-distribution.

Hmmm.  I can read their sentence either way!

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer