[Xastir] aprs data in a database

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 19 15:29:32 EDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Jeff Barlow wrote:

> "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com>  wrote:
>
> >Wouldn't you imagine that we might get a bunch of PDA Xastir users
> >if it were ported to that platform?
>
> I thought most PDA's ran WindowsCE now.

Hmmm.  Mine doesn't.  It runs PalmOS.

Sharp Zaurus runs Linux and I think Qtopia (Qt-based).  No X11.

> >Pocket Xastir would be the ultimate!  Ok, not the
> >ultimate, but pretty darned cool.
>
> To each his own. I'm not that big on carrying gadgets around with
> me. I don't even have a cell phone. I do carry a GPS when I go
> hiking, but it spends most of it's time in my pocket till it's
> time to find my way back to the trail head. I go out there to
> enjoy the rocks and trees, not play with tech toys.
>
> OTOH, for your SAR teams, a highly portable APRS system makes a
> lot of sense.

When I'm in the woods for my own purposes, I'm carrying high-tech
single-cam bow with overdraw and use a release now instead of
fingers.  I carry GPS, 2-meter, compass, maps.  Hunting partner is a
ham also.  This year maybe we'll carry our PocketTrackers too.  I
usually leave my GPS off except for a quick fix a few times a day.
The compass gets much more use.

Hunting is a reason to play with the high-tech gear.  Of course I'm
usually so busy hunting I don't play much, but it's the thought that
counts.

Yes on the SAR teams, although a lot of them fight technology for
similar reasons as yours when in the backcountry:  They are there to
enjoy the scenery and the exercise while they're getting the SAR job
done, not get saddled with extra weight and high-tech toys they
don't understand.

I'm the opposite:  Every outing is another chance to experiment, but
I do like to sit quietly in the woods at times too.  Just not on a
SAR mission.  hi hi